Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mmm-mm "cheese"

I found a recipe for a vegan "Ricotta cheese" made with tofu...which means now I have something for a vegan lasagne, so naturally I had to make it right away.

It's goo-oo-ood.

The recipe was on the Vegan Outreach site. It spread beautifully (better than the cottage cheese I used in my previous life) and has a similar consistency to actual ricotta. Here is the recipe:

TOFU RICOTTA

- 1-1/2 lb. firm regular tofu, well mashed;
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice (I used organic lemon juice);
- 2 tsp dried basil leaves - (I happened to have fresh basil in the house);
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp sweetener of your choice (I used about 1/4 tsp);
- 3/4 tsp salt (whoah! I used about 1/4 tsp sea salt);
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules;
- I added a few grinder twists of fresh black pepper. (I live to improvise).

Mash all the ingredients together until the mixture has a fine grainy texture. (I threw everything in the food processor and pulsed it a couple of seconds). Use in veggie (I hate that word) lasagne or any savory dish that calls for ricotta cheese.

(Recipe originally from *The Uncheese Cookbook* (c)1997, J. Stepaniak. (Guess what book's on my Get list?)

*****************************************************************

.

.

No comments: